About two weeks ago I was tested on a number of different things concerning metabolism, replication, transduction, transcription, and on and on. I was also tested on calculating bacterial generations. I'd be told an initial population given the replication rate of A and how many generations would there be to reach this level population. The problem wasn't difficult as much as it was disturbing. I haven't been able to look at things the same way since. I'm now 2/3 of the way through microbiology and the remainder of its material is centered on pathogens.
It's insane because I always teased Lesley about freaking out about things. Last year she learned everything about the human body and what makes it work. This year she is learning everything that goes wrong. And I never understood how it feels to look at life differently because of it. Funny.
Believe it or not that was not the point of my post.
Tonight, in the library, I was studying about tuberculosis. It normally takes a few minutes of going through the material before I actually begin to take in what I'm reading. (Les calls it "The Zone". I call it "Yeeeeaaaaahhhh"! ) About 10 minutes into the material I understood that gravity of just how scary that bacteria is. I was scared. Shocked to the core. And I'm not talking about the Jamie gets scared by a scene in the movie and screams like a woman scared. I'm talking couldn't move. Biology is insane. Bioterrism is insane. (Sidenote: My professor may infact be a terrist. You should see how excited the woman gets when talking about Anthrax and how deadly it is).
Maybe it never hit me before. I understood they were serious and deadly. Somehow learning and understanding how they on top of how our bodies work...somehow it made real. Listen...if anyone wants to attack a country Bioterrism is the way to go. Things that would make Hiroshema look like a dance recital. It's cost effective. Crazy. Shanagans!
This post is broad. Sorry. And no....I'm not OC. Or hyperchondriac. But I do have a test on the nervous system on tuesday. There are 3 divisions of the nervous system (1)Central Nervous System (2)Autonomatic Nervous System (3) Peripheral Nervous System. Doctors abbreviate everything. So in class in stead of saying Peripheral Nervous System the professor says PNS. PNS sounds like PENIS when you say it loud enough to fill the 300 students and say it fast. Would this warrant giggles? Even more, does it warrent giggles if you are 27 yrs surrounded by 18 yr soph girls? To me did. Ha. I just laughed right now. PNS!
2 comments:
great post JJ. very educational. hey- and good luck on the PNS test.
That's my boy! Never lose that ability to laugh!
Frannycakes
Post a Comment