
Last night, with no impending assignments or exams on the horizon I picked up the season one disk one of MAD MEN. Les and I learned about the show when the main character hosted SNL. I knew the premise behind the show: set in the early 1960's; follows employees of an advertising agency in New York's Madison Avenue; they are the best at what they do. To be honest I wasn't interested in it. Still, I needed something to fill the time between study and there was nothing else. The show didn't have to be great. It didn't have to be good. It just had to be better than a fusy reception show of Jerry Springer or Judge Judy. So I picked up the first disk, paid, went home, studied, then put in the dvd to watch the show I had no expectations other than a little better than horrible. Man, was I completely wrong.
The show starts at a time when play is part of work, sexual banter isn't yet harassment, and America is free of self-doubt, guilt, and confusion. But all of those things are begining to change. The show has won several awards for it's historical authenticity. From the 3 episodes I've watched it highlights smoking, homophobia, religious, racial bias, and Sexism. I bolded sexism because this was the most shocking and intreging aspect of what I've watched. Women had it so bad both in the office and in the home. I've always thought of myself a having traditional views on marital roles. Often I look back to this period in time with nostolgia. But this was the first time I've ever seen a darker side to the male world. I'm not going to write much more because I've spent enough time surfin the web this morning. But honestly...........you will taken back by the drastic contrast between work/home life in the not so distant past and now.
1 comment:
I love it also! I have only seen season 2 so I need to rent season 1.
Post a Comment