Saturday, December 6, 2008

DreadLocks - A Dream Realized


I'm not a neat freak. I can abstain from the daily shower when the need calls. I don't freak out about a dirty kitchens. Jeans should be worn at least a weeks (thats a 7 day Mon-Sun week) amount of days before they head to the washer. I don't obsess about washing hands. I believe the hand clinex still remains the most powerful and effective way to wipe the nose. But the line is drawn when it comes to Dreadlocks. Dirty, Dirty Dreadlocks.

I've never fully understood this style. Don't know what about it particularly that repulses me. It could be the fact that dreads cannot be washed in order to make the hairs dread. It could be that the style reminds me of a movie I saw as a teenager called the predator. It could be that dreads usually accompany my least of favorite people "the hippy" which then brings me back to the dirty factor. I guess my distaste comes from a collection of factors. Anyways.......

In football, dreadlocks hanging outside of the helmet are considered part of the uniform. This means that those dirty dirty locks can be used as a means for tackling the player. That said, I've always wanted to see someone be yanked down by their locks of filthiness. Any time I see a player on the field, even if it's the kicker, that whole game I'm praying for this situation to arise where he gets to run with the ball and that hair be pulled on. It never happens.

Until today....

2 comments:

Literarily Chic said...

As a woman who had to sit behind a guy with dreads in BIO 101 and then have to be partners with said dreads man in Martial Arts..... they are the nastiest thing on the planet. They smell.... ugh; I can still feel the stink in the back of my throat! And all this from a woman who strictly adheres to the "washing of the hands":)
In football, as far as I'm concerned, dreads are fair game on the field.

claudia said...

jj- i'm glad you posted this. i'm going to have to make sure Corey sees this because there has been some disturbing talk coming from him about putting dreads in his beard! (i'm not kidding)