Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Where to begin


Wow! It's been a while since I've sat at my desk, checked on everyones blog, and had time to wander across the fascinating phenomenon that is the world wide web. I've got my music playing, the dog is fast asleep in the chair next to me, Les sits studying the wonder world of pharmacology in the other room, and just outside the snow flakes fall in an excited indecisive way being pushed left then right by the wind. Ahhhhh......the return of routine. I've missed you sweet home only I did not realize how much until now.

Christmas was wonderful. It ranks up in my top 5. Les and I left the smoke cloud of our lives after exams ended the middle of December for a visit with her brother and adorable two daughters. On the 24 we drove home to Lexington. Well, Lesley drove the majority of the trip. I confess I slept a good deal of the ride. However, with the exception of an ocassional burst of snoring fits, I don't think she minded. Christmas moring we woke around 8, showered and met each other downstairs to exchange our presents which were under the tree. Afterwards we met up with her parents and drove to her sisters house. Amy (Lesley's sister) was pregnant and due on January 2nd, still from the looks of her belly I could have sworn God was going to give us a very special present right then and there. Her children Kye and Kyrie were adorable. Seeing them open their presents both reminded me of being younger and made me begin to imagine just how exciting fatherhood will be. Later that night we returned to Lexington, packed for our flight to Maine, and went to bed. Well, Lesley packed for the flight to Maine. Unlike the driving, this she did mind, but she is a great wife (and packer - "great" meaning she packs alot. $100 worth of overweight luggage fees to be exact. Nevertheless I was can't complain as I found myself fully prepared and never without shirt, shoe, or sock). The next morning we flew to a very white Maine. It is here that I will start a new paragraph.

Maine is like a different country in the winter. Snow is everywhere all of the time. It never goes away and often each day gives more of it. Beautiful. What fascinates me most about this is that while it can be the most beautiful thing blanketed over the land like a bed sheet fresh out of the dryer, it is far from gentle and tender. Maine's winter snow is tough, uninviting, and savage during a winter storm. Winters make for a very tough for all who live there. Every part of life is affected by the weathers mood. Still......I love it. I'm very thankful to God and my beloved parents for giving me the gift of experiencing a true winter. I wonder if I would be appreciate all of this had we not lived in so many places growing up. Part of me wants to say no.

When we arrived at Mom and Dad's home (which is, I've been told, is still my home) we exchanged presents with everyone. The biggest present was being together. Sounds very cliche, but as each year passes this gift continues to grow in favor. Like many things as of lately which deal with things I feel so strongly about - I find the words to describe how much I enjoyed being with my family beyond my reach. I find I am my happiest when surrounded by those I love without condition and who love me. Family is one of the most important part of a persons life. I would be a fool to think otherwise.

During my time in Maine we were able to go to a local amatuer hockey game (a big thing to the Maine residents), Snowmobiling, a Celtics game, and numerous treasure hunting expeditions throughout all the surrounding area's Goodwills, tj maxs, and dollar trees (Maine residents do not have time for yard sells like people do in the south due to those extended winters. Because of this, each visit yeilds fantastic finds and fantastic finds can make a person feel like they've discovered a cure for cancer or the common cold - depending on how many finds of course). We were also able to dominate an entire season of "My Name is Earl" over the course of a day and half. During those two days Mom, Ju, and I were able to get my father to watch 2 or 3. I've always loved watching my mother and father laugh together at something. Seeing Dad crack up over a scene always makes me smile and warms my heart. Last Friday I left Maine for Lexington. Over the weekend I've rested, cleaned, organized, and painted a little. Its great to be under the same roof with the two ladies of the house - Darling & Lesley (My Darling) - even if one is studying and the other is most likely tearing apart her mothers newly purchased couch pillow.

The past two days I've been able to rediscover a piece of my heart which has been lost and forgotten since my senior year in college. At the moment I'm still processing my thoughts and feelings - sorry for being unclear and broad - but I'm write about the experience more in the near future.


Classes begin tomorrow. New Day. New semester. New beginning. Is there anything better?
Maybe, lil ceasars breadsticks. Probably not. Does, anyone remember the excitement of the start of a new year in HS or Middle school? Oooooh! It would be the only day I picked my outfit out the night before for the entire year. Good times.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I love you Jamie....thank you for coming to Maine and making it a very memorable Christmas!

Frannu

claudia said...

glad y'all are back JJ! i missed your blog posts. hope you have a good semester- want me to make you a coupon code for your books? ;-)